It was cold this morning, my breath hung in a crystalline haze behind me as I walked briskly to my Astronomy 101 quiz section at 8:15. The cold air stings my cheeks and wakes me up, and has done wonders with my usually pimply skin. In other words, we are quickly moving towards winter, and it is quite apparent in the bareness of the trees and the bulk everyone is beginning to put on, scarves, hats, jackets and mittens. I have finally conceded defeat and have begun wearing close toed shoes, I am no longer a stubborn flip flop wearing Californian.
In other news I worked the Fair Trade, Shade-Grown, and Organic coffee booth this afternoon. You see, us Earth Clubbers decided to give out free "conscious coffee" and I suggested that we make little informative wallet-sized cards showing where you can buy fair trade, shade grown and organic coffee on the Ave. Then we decided to make them laminated because it's Seattle and it rains. Now we thought this would be an easy process, but little did we know that we would be sitting in the copy center for three hours last night from 6:30 to 9:30 cutting out little laminated cards. By the time we were done we had made one hundred and one cards and had bonded considerably. Today we handed them out along with steaming mugs of coffee and our little spiel which goes a little like this: "Fair trade means that farmers get a living wage and that some of the profits from the coffee go to education and healthcare, shade grown means that the coffee is grown under tree canopy, unlike most coffee which is grown on deforested land where the soil gets degraded every year, forcing farmers to deforest another plot of land. This allows for 140 species of birds to flourish, unlike sun grown coffee farms where only 5 species of birds are found. Organic means that no "-cides" were used, pesticides, herbacides etc. and no chemical fertilizers. It's better for you and it's better for the farmers." We then declared ourselves "Fair-istas" which is a play on the esteemed title "barista." I had always said that my dream Seattle job was to be a barista, a fair-ista is even better.
Laura and Alli of Earth Club (and my mug "Stan" in the middle) enjoying the fair trade, organic, shade grown coffee.

I'm popping Laura's bubbles (muhahahaha!)

Pigs are friends, not food...a member of CARE (Campus Animal Rights Educators) nurturing her inner pig across the sidewalk from our table. I wanted to wear the chicken costume, so I guess I'll just join their club too.

My friend Queena, she's such a cow, and also a member of CARE. That little sticker says, "Meat's no treat for those you eat." And it has an anxious looking and quite plump chicken on it.

Someone enjoying our coffee and conversation.

Our beautiful sign exclaiming the fabulous-ness of Tully's Compadre Blend, which is fair trade, shade grown and organic and is sold on campus.

Bubble war: Yecelica and Amanda engage in a soap sud battle

A nice young woman enjoying our coffee in her re-usable mug! Yay!

A clear, cold day. Mount Ranier in the McMahon lobby window.
P.S. I was really touched by the comment left on my previous blog...thank you to whoever left that, and by the way, who did leave that? But thanks again, it made me feel much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment