But I'm warm and comfortable and listening to Ani DiFranco's "Reprieve", the bass lines drifting like the fog, and the only unpleasant things present are the 110-odd pages I need to read in Weber's "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism" by Tuesday. I'm on page 41. It's dense and his point, though reiterated in lecture, keeps slipping away from me. All I know is this, he thinks that the expression "time is money" is absolutely ridiculous and the efficiency-based, dogged capitalist ethic of our time (or his, it was published in 1904)is insanity. My professor gave an example, Bill Gates makes millions and millions of dollars a year, and yet he still works and makes more money. This is a very unique condition. In Medieval times you made lots of money or looted tons of gold and then you built a castle and bought a wife and made everyone else do things for you. We live in a very strange time.
But anyway, enough about that, I have to write a paper on it by Thursday and I really don't want to think about it anymore. In other news, I am going for the Mary Gates Leadership Scholarship, which requires the participant to have a leadership project. My project is the presentation of an ambitious albeit realistic "greening" plan for the Center of Experiential Learning, where the scholarship office is located. This plan will be put together and presented by a "Green Team" made up of students from Earth Club. The greening process can include everything from the use of 100% recycled paper to the installation of compact flourescent bulbs to the encouragement of staff to bring in reusable mugs. I'm very VERY excited and am just focusing on my application, as I've already got a mentor from the office who is stoked to have someone doing this project (FINALLY) and a team of Earth Clubbers who are already eager to do research. I really feel this is a project that can take off and transform the entire University, and I'm just excited to be able to start the domino effect.
Well, there's so much more to say but I must go to the gym and then check and see when the huskies play the Oregon State Beavers today, because it's bound to be a great game, seeing as we just about beat USC last weekend. GO DAWGS!

Grrrrr...I'm a big co-president.

Patricia, my roomie and me!

The view from the Washington State Convention Center.

Hee hee hee.

Meaghan and I putting up lights.

Earth Club!



The Earth Club regulars!

The view from our balcony...

Me and my co-president, Stephanie.

Laura, me and Stephanie at an Earth Club officer meeting

Meaghan, Patricia, and Stephanie Kong.

Meaghan, Patricia and me!

Me and Jessi at the Cheesecake Factory in downtown Seattle

What am I doing?! Who knows...
P.S. By the way, I got a new cell number, um, I don't really want to put it out on the world wide web, so if you need it please e-mail me at: eju@u.washington.edu or leave me a comment here! Thanks everybody, and thanks for reading, I love you all!
1 comment:
Hi, Erinn. Sounds like you're really excited about your Earth project. Good luck! By the way, Bill Gates is doing wonderful work with his millions in the area of enviramenttal causes, such as aiding orphans in Africa , and working for the folks dealing with
The Greenhouse Effect. He keeps working because he has dedicated mosr of his income to charities. By working, he can do more., So be aware of the good capitalism can do. Love Grandma J
Post a Comment