Thursday, September 29, 2005

The UW Chronicles: Volume II: You've "Only Got One," and It's Raining

I'm sitting at my desk, listening to the rain blowing against McMahon mingle with the music flowing through my headphones. It's my first Seattle rainy day, and I was so excited, everyone thought it was a little unusual, but they just dismissed it as a "California" thing. I've got Frou Frou on my iPod, they're a pretty popular band with a girly name, and I'm tapping my feet to their song "Only Got One" and the chorus is: "It's your life, and you've only got one." This is my college song.

Even when it was blowing and stormy everyone was out on campus, I think a lot of people here understand that they're privileged to be here and that they've only got one chance at doing the best that they possibly can at college and wringing as much fun (and learning) out of it as they can. I'm really feeling that today. I spent about four and a half hours studying Astronomy and preparing for my English 198 class, and I know that those are four and a half hours that were well spent and well worth it.

Before studying I tabled for the UW Earth Club and met an amazing, wonderful girl named Laura. She was vibrant, and huggie just like I am. She reached her arms across the table and exclaimed, "So you're the little firecracker they've been talking about so much!" She and I are peas in a pod, I was just appointed the Head of the Earth Week Committee for the Earth Club and she is one of the Presidents. I'm so lucky and honored to be able to head the committee and use the experience I have from Circle of Life to better the UW community and the Earth in the process! I mean, it's the experience I have with Circle of Life and the graduation saga with Julia Butterfly and the Drake Administration that got me this incredible position as merely a frosh! I'm sooo pumped and excited to make this the BEST Earth Week UW has ever experienced. I want to get some t-shirts donated by American Apparel, so we can sell Earth Club tees, and I want to provide composting that can be used in a community or campus garden. I'm going to work really hard to make it a green event, and show the students that living in a sustainable way isn't that hard, even when you attend/live at a fairly wasteful school. I went on a huge search for the paper and cardboard recycling yesterday. You should've seen me, I was a stack of flattened cardboard with legs. I think I'll rent a dolly and I'll do recycling for my cluster (or the whole floor...you know me, I always take it to the next possible level.)

Well, I must go to sleep now, I have three big lecture classes tomorrow and I've had a long and very full day. Until next time.


From left to right: Devon (sophomore), Jessica (frosh), Jessica (sophomore), me (frosh, duh), and Shilpa (sophomore) We all got henna tattoos, mine meant "enlightenment" in Japanese (see below.) I got it on my wrist so that when I studied, I'd become "enlightened."
The clustermates getting ready to go drool over Johnny Depp in "Pirates of the Caribbean," that was showing on a big screen on the Quad lawns. We're all bundled up because it was, like, below zero outside(at least to me, the California girl.)

I'm theorizing on why the Earth is round(which I am actually studying in Astronomy 101)...no, actually I'm just wondering when we're going to get our damn balloon animals during the UW Fall Fling carnival, does it really take that long to twist a balloon into a little bunny? Nooo.


Facebook me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Tootsie, I am enjoying your blogs so much - I'm printing them for Papa so he too can share these wonderful experiences with you. You are handling all of it just as I knew you would and as I told you in a previous e-mail I can already see signs of maturity and poise not only in your writing but also in the activities you are being exposed to. I agree with your Mom--you are in the right place for you SO Proceed with VIGOR!!! Love,hugs&kisses from your Grandy

Anonymous said...

Oh no rain!!!
Your henna tattoes are asome!
I love you blog!I love that you put pictures in it keep doing it for your sister
love,clairebear