Thursday, September 29, 2005
The UW Chronicles: Volume I
I’m sitting here in my dorm room eating graham crackers with soy milk (yes, graham crackers are fairly vegan, but the honey's iffy I guess) and just waiting for the rain to come. The sky clouded over during my last class today, but the sunset peeking out from under them was magnificent. While walking across Red Square I looked towards Drumheller Fountain and immediately couldn’t catch my breath. Mount Ranier was glowing white and orange in the sunset and the top was cloaked in dark low clouds. It was just amazing and I thought, wow, I’m so happy that I’m here. California is beautiful, but the beauty here in Seattle is different. It’s harsher and wilder, which makes it all the more brilliant to me.
Earlier I saw a seaplane cut across the horizon, and over campus. You should see me; I get so idiotically ecstatic when I see a seaplane. I scream, “Look! A seaplane!! That’s soooo cool!” And everyone just looks at me and nods their heads, “Mmmhmmm, yes that’s a seaplane, Erinn.” Then they whisper to themselves, “Yeah, she’s from California.” “Do they have seaplanes in California?” “I don’t think so, but they do have palm trees…” “Oh.”
Well, enough of that. My classes were pretty cool today. I had Astronomy 101, English 198, University Studies (a boring little class about the UW) and Geography 270, which is taught by a really neat Scottish guy who just came back from Northern India after doing some research there. He wore a pink shirt and called grades “marks.” I thought that was pretty exciting.
I love where I live; I’m in a cluster in McMahon Hall, floor 9, south tower (Yeah, MacCity PRIDE!) My cluster-mates are all really wonderful girls (we went bowling yesterday and we all got temporary Henna tattoos, I guess the family that bowls and tattoos together stays together), and we decorated our lounge like nothing else. It is our bohemian haven. We have Johnny Depp on the wall, Buddhist prayer flags hanging from the ceiling, rugs all over the place and my lava lamp on the table in the corner. I guess all we need is a flat screen television and a stereo system. Just kidding, well, actually no, I’m not kidding.
But anyway, I’m going to go and work on my homework, yes, I already have homework and it’s only my first day. Welcome to higher education.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Your room looks faboulas!
I bet your first day was a blast of fun! It's good that you having so much fun!
Post a Comment