Thursday, February 28, 2008

The UW Chronicles: Busy, Busy, Busy

Hello everyone!

It is nearly March and I have not posted since...I don't know when. But here I am.

The quarter has been busy, a roller coaster ride not so fun at some points and a blast at others.

Studying journalism is a constant learning process — two steps forward (I know A.P. style!), one step back (interviewing trauma victims, even if they're actors, is tough stuff.). While writing, I edit everything simultaneously in my head. In fact, I rewrote that sentence. It gets slightly annoying and I am working on turning off my internal critic during the draft writing process because it just makes me want to hurl my computer across the room. But besides that, political science is going well. My class on the Mideast and North Africa is fascinating.

I am currently searching for an internship that might combine both disciplines, or just an internship at all. If anyone can get me into National Geographic, NPR or Amnesty International's magazine, let me know.

I'm saving the best news for last. Currently, I am the sub-editor assistant at The Daily of the University of Washington. I help everyone in the newsroom with little things, including writing sidebars, info boxes, making tea and writing last minute articles.

Check this one out: UW students confronted by ‘aggressive, angry’ state trooper

I'm being promoted. Arla, our news editor, was elected editor-in-chief last week, and because we work so well together, I will be managing editor. During spring quarter I will make sure the newsroom is running and that the process is efficient. I also look over the paper with Arla before sending it to the printer. I also get an office. Well, a wall that separates us from the craziness that is the Daily newsroom. And a raise.

According to the great wellspring of information that is Wikipedia, my job description is this:

"A managing editor is a senior member of a publication's management team.

In the United States, a managing editor oversees and coordinates the publication's editorial activities. The position is generally the second highest in rank, after the editor-in-chief (also called the executive editor.)"

I'm cookin' now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS.
Now will I be able to say I knew her when???

Erinn you absolutely totally rock!!

Mary (and I am sure Bev concurs)