My reporter's notebook is full and slightly bedraggled, a casualty of the story I began working on two months ago.
After more than a few interviews, multiple copies, 11 pages and the agonizing realization that I have a serious pattern of biting off more than I can chew, my baby has been published. Add some nail-biting and ethical issues, plus last minute edits and source checking right before it went to print (via cell while I was at a Tori Amos concert), and you've got an idea of what went into this two-part story on Burma.
It ran in The Daily's last two papers before finals, the first part on the front page and covering 3-4 pages inside and the second half published the next day in the features section.
Thanks to the incredible guidance of Vicky Yan, my features editor, I did not go insane and I successfully kept to my deadline. Vicky said in an e-mail to me: "I saw a lot of people on campus reading your story the other day and I was so proud!" It's like we're proud parents.
Thank you to The Daily for embracing this unique story idea and gambling on me as a new writer (and now as an assistant sub-editor; You won't be disappointed).
Thanks also to all of my sources--you know who you are--I was honored to be able to tell your part of the story.
As with any news story, there are many angles and perspectives and all of them need to be told. Here are the perspectives of University of Washington students--who have lived and studied in Burma--on a dynamic country that has attracted the attention of the world.
Tin Aung (a student from Rangoon, Burma and an invaluable source) demonstrating the effects of censorship



No comments:
Post a Comment