Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The UW Chronicles: Volume XXII: Snow and the Space Needle





Welcome to Seattle.

January 16, 2007
11:55 am

I'm curled up in a blanket in my dorm room watching the snow fall outside while sipping some Assam black tea with soy eggnog and listening to Sarah McLachlan. And I should be reading about the constitution. But instead I am writing to you because I am warm and there is snow and I am thinking about all of you doing what you do on a Tuesday afternoon after a holiday weekend, laundry perhaps, and I wish that all of you could come up to Washington and we'd have a cup of tea and a snowball fight in the Quad and all would be glorious. In essence, I feel oh so far away from everyone I love in this snow caked little corner of the Pacific Northwest.

It is beautiful though and things have been going well. I love my classes, I'm taking Communication 202 (an intro class), Political Science 202 (American Politics, I can now apply to the major) and ESRM 101 (Forests and Societies, we learned about tree sitting the other day). Thankfully Communication 202 and Political Science 202 are both requirements to get into the journalism major and the political science major, so I am contemplating a double major in those areas, as many of the classes conveniently overlap.

Earth Club is rocking, we came up with a concrete framework for greening the Center for Experiential Learning, and have our environmental poetry night ("Poetry, Change and Chai") at the Trabant Chai Lounge in the U-District coming up in late January. My co-president, Stephanie, just had her 21st birthday and we had a fantastic adventure buying her a vegan cake at the Flying Apron Vegan Bakery (we got to test the different flavors, yum) and I really enjoyed meeting all her friends, many involved in other major clubs on campus and in the Associated Students of the University. They all welcomed me to her birthday party (a perfect stranger except for whatever they heard from Stephanie) with open arms and then sat me down between them on the couch with a slice of cake to watch Bill O'Reilly on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Suffice to say, they are amazing people who impressed me with their passion and intense involvement in current issues, as well as their warmth. I am pleased to say I have six new friends who are involved in everything from the Muslim Students Association to the Save Darfur Coalition to the Student Senate. It was so refreshing to meet members of my generation who are passionate about the world they live in and are looking for solutions to its problems. Ahhhhh.

But I must trek through the snow to class soon and tonight to my first kickboxing class and then tomorrow to my first Hatha yoga class (wish me luck, I'm gonna die. In the class I mean, hopefully not the snow.) My roommates can attest to the fact that I have been running around screaming, "CLIMATE CHANGE! CLIIIIMATE CHANGE!" like a banshee. A Facebook conversation with my friend Justin went something like this:
Justin: "Global warming doesn't exist! It's not warm! It's SNOWING!"
Me: "Hee hee...problem is global warming creates temperature extremes...northern latitudes get colder and southern get warmer...Los Angeles was eighty degrees on Wednesday, why can't we be there?! I say you move to Costa Rica while you still can. BEFORE WE COMPLETELY ICE OVER! AUGH!"
Justin: "I called George Bush and he told me you were distorting the facts...."
Me: "You just made me giggle inside. Tell him I learned it all from him. *snap* :)"

Obviously we have different political persuasions (which is wonderful, diversity is what our country was built on...can you tell I just read James Madison?) and therefore we have a lot of fun with it. But enough of that. I took some photos of campus that I thought you might enjoy. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures while I was at work the other day in Fremont because my goodness, it was coming down and I felt like I was inside a salt shaker, it was amazing. And what made it even more amazing was the fact that I was warm inside Peet's and had all the chai I could ever want at my disposal. God, I love working there. Peet's and joy indeed.

Well, cheers and I love you all. Feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment because I want to hear how all of you are getting along! And please, if you live in snow country (AKA Ohio) us Seattlites already know that we are pathetic when it comes to snow. I mean a major part of the city is called "Capitol Hill", and man, it's a BIG hill, a BIG ICY hill right now. *sigh* And people are still trying to drive up it...and making the mistake of going down it as well. Obviously this city was not built for snow, and adding to it, Seattlites are clueless when it comes to the white stuff. Hugs and kisses to all.
P.S. My roommates and I were just taking the Meyer-Briggs test...I'm an ISFJ (Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging), otherwise known as a "protector-guardian" just like George Bush, Sr., Mother Teresa and Dana Scully from the X-Files...and don't ask me how they know the personality type of Dana Scully, a woman who does NOT EXIST. I have no idea. My friend Jessi is an idealist-something, just like the virgin Mary, or so the website claimed. Don't ask me how they came up with that either. But it's interesting, no? Reading the profile was pretty creepy, I can tell you that much. Well that was random. Have any of you taken it? It's weirdly fascinating isn't it?

































And to brighten your day...


Jessi, Jessica Vu and me playing dress up.


Me and Audrey...we will be roommates next year in our own apartment! I'll get things on the floor for her and she'll get things on shelves for me. It will work out nicely.

No comments: