Friday, June 02, 2006

The UW Chronicles: Volume XVII: One Week

***NEW PICTURES! CHECK THEM OUT AT THE BOTTOM!***

That's all folks! I finished my last class of freshman year a few hours ago and it hasn't quite sunk in yet. I'm keeping myself busy studying for finals and keeping abreast of the latest news about the fervor over the community farm over in South Central Los Angeles.

I got an e-mail last week about my bud Julia being up to her old tricks again and sitting up in a Walnut tree that grows at this community farm. It turns out that the land that 350 men, women and children are living on and growing organic food on is being sold out from underneath their feet as a result of a shady deal that wasn't even approved by the city council. These lower income, mostly Mexican families had gotten the land 13 years before as a gift to the community after the LA riots. They turned this land that had housed a warehouse and was slated to be home to a toxic incinerator into an oasis in the middle of the ghetto. They grow all kinds of crops there, including cactus and traditional medicinal herbs, and have a farmers market every Sunday. Julia Butterfly, Daryl Hannah (of Kill Bill fame), Joan Baez and John Quigley are there sitting in the tree and more supporters are in tents on the ground. Julia has been fasting for the past three weeks in prayer for the continued presence of the garden and protest against the eviction of the farmers,saying
that her fast is intended to make people who don't really know what it's like to go without food think about 360 families loosing a significant, renewable food source. Check out this video:




Check out this one too:



They were supposed to be evicted this morning, but so far the Sheriff has not followed through, though they say that the farmers must be prepared for that scenario. Check out their website at: www.southcentralfarmers.com or www.southcentralfarmers.org and PLEASE donate money through PayPal. They are trying to buy the land from the developer who bought it at 6 million and now wants 16 million for it. They have already raised more than 5 million and are urging the mayor to push the developer to accept the money, but neither the mayor nor the developer has taken action so far.

So please, if you are in LA go visit and take supplies (say hi to Julia for me) and write e-mails and donate (you do it through PayPal and they return the money if the land cannot be bought) if you are unable to get to LA. If my friend Jessi and I had a car and school was over we'd be there pitching a tent right now (instead I donated a couple bucks and e-mailed the mayor), so please, do something, a valuable part of their community and a shining example of what can be cultivated in a community riddled by violence but filled with love and courage is in danger of being destroyed. Do something.


In other, much less important news, elections for Earth Club were last night, and I'm happy to report that I will be joined by my friend and fellow Earth Clubber Stephanie as co-president. We will be heading the club next year as co-presidents and hope to make it the best year yet! Hurrah! And until next time, once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more unto the breach.

P.S. I have included some photos from a recent Earth Club vegan pancake/pie making night that also turned into vegan pancake/pie, massage, Beethoven night. Tons of fun with Earth Club and The Garden of Vegan cookbook (courtesy of my favorite treehugger). I also just got some photos from the Earth Week Fair which I coordinated, so they are after these pie photos.


Vegan rhubarb-strawberry pie...yum.


Massage line! Joe, me, Rachel our secretary, Laura our current co-president, Josh and Alice who is now our webmaster and did our Earth Week poster.


Relaxing with Rachel, Josh, me and Laura and Alice on top.


Rachel, Josh, Joe and me waiting for the pie to bake.


The gang again, peace.


Laura and I have a laugh over the Alice in our laps.


We were trying to do yoga...me, Alice and Christine, our other current co-president. Don't do yoga on a stomach filled with pancakes...bad idea.


It was so good Alice just had to lick the plate! And Laura had to make her. Brian the giant pancake maker in the background.


Our Earth Week Fair musicians: random guy, Arturo Rodriguez and Hyim (he slept on my couch)


Me, Hyim, Laura, Alice and Maureen.


Me and Rachel being hotties.


Blowing bubbles and listening to music out on the HUB lawn during Earth Week, my co-president is the girl next to me with the yellow bubble wand, AND she's a fellow vegan! Two vegans in power...coincidence? I think not. It's a veggie conspiracy. The truth IS out there.

P.S. It's one of the last days before I leave for California and I wanted to include some of the last shots of out cluster together before all of us scattered to the four directions...and some interesting shots of what happens to me when I need to pack.

The cluster (from left to right): Patricia, me, Meaghan, Shilpa, Audrey, Jessi, and Jessica bending over at bottom.



Me and my roomie, I miss her already


Me and Audrey, the height difference is amusing.


Me and my bud Jessi




What happens when I pack...I inevitably end up in the box.


Goodbye to my first year! I'm ready to be shipped home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having fun and saving the earth - you go girl!! can't wait to see you - I guess you are a sophmore now, is it just me or did this year fly by ???
Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Lovely,
What great photos. I love the one of you in the box. Yet, you are such an out of the box thinker... oh the contridictions of life.

I'm sure it is hard to leave your clustermate pals, but selfishly, I'm ecstatic that you are coming back to us Bay Area folk who miss your bright shiny smile and bouncey bounce in your step!! xoxo